Tuesday, July 9, 2013

What To Make With All Those Wool Scraps Leftover from Felted Sweaters

I have huge amounts of wool scraps left over from upcycled felted sweaters that I can't bear to throw away, so I decided to sit down at my sewing machine and just start randomly sewing the scraps together. I tried not to worry about a pattern evolving or colors matching and I really enjoyed the freedom that doing free form brings to the psyche.

Every Scrap Matters
 
This is just a small pile of wool scraps in my vast collection of scraps! I used this basket of scraps for the pillow top I made.
 
I began changing thread colors and adding fancy stitch designs and just had fun. I also needle felted some beautiful wool roving and added wool hand spun and dyed wool yarn. I had bits of trims and a few bobbles that I also added. Here is how it turned out.
 
 
I made the back panel from a piece of cashmere from a felted sweater, and inserted a 14" pillow form. I still have to hand stitch the opening and it will be done!

 
I believe it is important to remember that just because they are called 'scraps', they are still very useful and beautiful and can be used to make amazing things! Making our world a little greener one scrap at a time.
 
Recycle - Repurpose - Re-Create - Upcycle - ReUse
 
I hope this gives you some inspiration on what to do with all of those little scraps laying around. Gather them together and make something awesome!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment