Friday, May 31, 2013

Notes From A Fiber Artist-Spinning-Crochet-Art Batts & more!

Art Yarn Batts by Katelyn Dunn, fiber artist.
She adds a little Bamboo, Silk, curls & of course a little sparkle!
This makes her batts very unique!
Happy Friday and YEAH! for the coming weekend!!! What are your plans for the weekend? I will be spinning and crocheting all weekend....except for the trip to the grocery store, yarn store, and you know, any other store I may stop at. :)

Today I want to tell you what I have been working on this week. On our way back from TN on Tuesday, I stopped at 3 thrift shops and bought 20 wool, acrylic, and cotton sweaters to take apart for the yarn. To me this is a very relaxing project to do in the evening when watching my favorite show or movie. I will be offering the yarn for sale on eBay, and of course I will keep some for myself. I use this yarn for my free-form crochet projects.

I bought quite a few art batts from my favorite fiber artist, Katelyn Dunn, from Dunn-Again,  in Crossville, TN, and I can't wait to get them all spun into bulky yarn. She makes the most beautiful, colorful, fun batts that I have ever seen, and I always stock up when I'm there. While I was there, Katelyn taught me to Navajo spin, and I have been having fun with that.

Katelyn Dunn, fiber artist, demonstrating plying on the spinning wheel. This show was held Memorial Day weekend at Fairfield Glade, TN.

On Sunday, I demonstrated extreme knitting with my 2" in diameter and 4 foot long Poplar knitting needles, hand crafted by Steven 'Rusty' Hart.



I have also been making rag rugs from fabric strips. I love making these, and they are all over my house, and my cat loves them too! They are strong and durable and will last for years with the proper care. Just toss them into the washer and wash as you would a sheet, and machine dry. Easy care!

I am making the rag rug in the photo about 5 foot in diameter and it will go in my kitchen. It will really add a splash of color!

I will be doing tutorials on finding, and preparing fabric for crocheting in the near future. Also, on crocheting in the round.

I will be teaching a class at Dunn Again on making a round chair pad that can be increased to a rug size. We will be using a hand crafted, 1" in diameter extreme crochet hook.

The class is Saturday, June 22, 2013, at 2:00. It is a one hour class and enough fabric yarn will be included to make one chair pad. I will also have the 1" crochet hooks available to use in the class. The class will be 1 hour and the fee is $45.00.

Contact me if you are interested, and I will add you to the class list. There is a limit of 10 spaces, so sign up early as they fill up fast! You can contact me at love2workathomewife@gmail.com , or you can call the store, Dunn-Again, at (931)-287-0594. Kelley or Katelyn will be happy to add you to the class and give directions if needed.

Have a great weekend! If you have any questions, please let me know! You can contact me anytime at love2workathomewife@gmail.com.

Fiber hugs!
Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment